Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Build Day 8: Finishing the thrust chamber and starting on the main injector plate

1/16th of an inch thick walls will certainly perform better than the 1/8th inch that I had originally planned but machining it was a different story. I was sweating that I was going to shear the chamber while I was cutting the outside down to the right thickness. 1/16th of an inch is about the width of a single letter on this page!


Viola! That thrust chamber is so thin it sounds like it is made of glass!


I swear it looked a lot bigger in my head! And on paper!






Perfect fit! The cooling channel checks out to the 10-15 thousands that I sized it for to keep the water from boiling in the jacket!



I still have to cut the 45 deg angle for the o-ring seat and the thickness of the o-ring is 70 thousandths which should reduce the 250 thousandths more near to the correct 125 thousandths of design. If it is a problem, I can always cut the o-ring groove a little deeper. 


I got a start on the backside of the primary injector plate. Digging that groove is surprisingly difficult. Every bit screams!





No comments:

Post a Comment