Friday, March 28, 2014

Build day 15: Finally getting caught up

The last few parts are on order, hopefully they are the last so I have gotten some free time. Since my first rocket is turning out to look more like a Frankenstein rocket, I have reinvested my time and everything I've learned into version dos.

One thing I learned is that grafoil needs to stay in my nightmares where it belongs. There is no way that I would be able to cut it into the tiny washer shape that I need. I decided to lathe out the groove to the edge and make a big washers for it instead.

I decided to modify my design to fit standard gasket sizes, instead of the other way around. I only had to change things around 1/16th of an inch in any direction so it will be very worth the trouble. I also bought the materials to make this thing look pretty while being functional. All of my aluminum threads are starting to strip out so I will probably need to silicone them in for the time of the test. I will be remaking my rocket out of steel, except for the thrust chamber which will still be aluminum for it heat transfer properties. The injector plate will be made out of 316 stainless... or so I think. Steel has turned out to be a whole new monster and I haven't even touched the stainless yet! More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment