Friday, March 14, 2014

Build day 11: Channeling for the bolt heads , polishing, and making sure everything fits

I cut out 5 of the 6 grooves of the bolts. On the last one, I finally understand all those old-tymers that ward again chinese-made stuff. My Chinese made tool holder wiggled itself loose and plunged the bit through the wall of my coolant jacket... TRAGEDY! I took it to the machinist at my work and showed off what I had done and what had happened, almost in tears, to which, he sighed but said "Ahh don't worry about it. Ill take it home over the weekend and fill the hole with weld. When you mill it, you won't even know it was there"
Thank God for Geoff Hollis. If he wasn't here with more years of machining experience than twice what I've been alive, this rocket wouldn't have made it this far. I think I'm going to name my rocket in his honor, the HolliStar rocket!

Total man hours put into machining the rocket up to this point: 41.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment