Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 21: Cold Flow Testing Extravaganza

I got my regulator for the nitrous supply! I couldn't wait to solve the mystery that has kept me awake many nights.... can you regulate nitrous oxide down to a lower and keep it liquid. Think about it: If nitrous boils and turns from a liquid to a gas at 760 psi (atmospheric conditions), can I reduced the pressure to 400 psi and still get "liquid" nitrous to the rocket... well I finally answered that question.

Stared by drilling out the 8 x 0.033 inch holes (about 1/32 of an inch) at a 30 degree angle, perfectly centered around the fuel injection nozzle. 

I also got to do full pressure water testing of all the fuel systems. Being that my original design intent was to have an 80 degree full cone spray nozzle you can see that the 160 degree hollow cone that I ordered by accident doesn't line up very well. Also the nozzle is producing about half of the fuel flow that I need. I placed the order for the new nozzle today. 














Looks pretty liquidy to me!











No comments:

Post a Comment