Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Paradigm shift

Now that I have a welding machine that can weld aluminum my paradigm has shifted. I see the designs in my head from a whole new perspective. For injectors for instance, typically I went from idea to what seals can I buy to how I can make sure that it all bolts together to making sure there was enough rooms for flanges and a way for me to get a pressure transducer in there...

Now, I have a design in my head and as long as I can nest the components I can weld it in place. If I need a way to mount it to a load cell, I can just tack a bracket on after. There is so much more flexibility in modularity compared to the integrated unit conceptual approach I have grown accustomed to.

While my brain is reprogramming itself, I continue to invest in my capabilities. My milling machine on a rolling cart seemed like a good idea at the time but it turns out the cart is a giant resonance chamber. I had to move the mill so why not build myself a crane! Great welding project to keep honing my skills on. While I was at it I figured I'd build myself a shop press as well.

The boom is 2x2x1/4" square tube with a nested 1.5x1.5x1/4 extensible boom and a 4 ton HF jack to actuate the arm.




The shop press part is a 20 ton low profile jack and 2 3" wide by 1/2" thick steel flat bar pieces 30" long with 1" thick press plates.


No comments:

Post a Comment