Monday, June 26, 2017

I made a thing! Fuel tank load cell mounts on the thrust stand

Instrumenting the thrust stand

Being that I intend to be use this thrust stand to completely profile my rocket motors, I have been spending a lot of effort building the microcontrollers, software and data acquisition modules. In a sense, I feel like I am playing catch up for all of the work I didn't do on my first motor.

Since there are no moving parts in a pressure-fed liquid rocket motor, there are only a few places you can collect valuable data and even then you must interpolate it into something meaningful. One module in particular affords a lot of insight into the performance characteristics of the motors and that is the mass flow rates for the fuel and oxidizer.

Mounting rail for the load cell

I fashioned a bracket out of a 1 ft length of 2 inch wide 1/8 steel flat bar. I welded it to a 1.5" c-channel that is welded to the top of the frame.
Back of the mounting bracket
I wanted the load cell hanging from the mounting bracket and bolted to the top of the skate so I welded a pad onto the top of the bracket.

Next the skate is made of a 1ft piece of 4 inch 1/8" steel flatbar with 2 1/2" square tubes holding a piece of 1/4" steel flat bar that is threaded for the m4 bolts that fit my v-groove bearings.

Skate the the tank is mounted to
Once assembled the grooves in the skate bearings slide over the 2" flat bar mount to provide a sturdy linear bearing.
Linear bearing

Load cell mounts
The load cell is mounted between the two tabs seen in the picture above.
Load cell mounted

Closer picture of the load cell
I zip tied the tank on until I figure out a better way to hold the 2ft long tank against the skate.

Holding the tank that I made back in Ohio.
Now that I see the concept works, I am making another taller one that will have a universal mount to allow me to hold a variety including CO2, N2O and flight ready tanks.

2 comments:

  1. You did really good job, I wish I could do half of what you have done. Thank you for sharing your work with us nad keep posting more such posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter (15) and I have been working on something similar. We're planning our first upgrade. Check out https://maiatomars.wordpress.com
    We started with measuring Estes C6-3 engines just to get her through a project for school. We are now planning what's needed for other rocket engine types. I think when she finally finishes her presentation video, we'll work towards a GoFundMe since we need a better A/D and our load sensor is only 10kg, so we'll need a 100kg version. I'm also estimating we'll need to buy about 50-100KG of steel and if she wants to work with liquid fuels, they can be quite expensive here. The good news is, we have full access to a massive scale, modern machine shop... did you get the NI600 to work with the load cell?

    ReplyDelete